Insomnia.

I figured out where the word insomnia came from.

Latin origins. 'in' meaning not or no; "somnia" referring to somnus, the god of sleep. in-somnia: no sleep.

I wish I believed in somnus, then I could just sacrifice a chicken or something to appease him and then, bang. nighty-night.

my dad is full of advice. he's all 'mindful' and whatnot. 'breathe' he tells me. 'just breathe, and be mindful of every breath, and concentrate only on the breathing. If you have a thought, just let it float away.'

Darn! My thoughts must be made of Feviquik glue or whatever that really strong glue is called. Suffice it to say, They do not just 'float away'.

I wish brains had an off-switch. At night, everything I hear gets transformed into a sadistic killer who will rip my jaw off. (courtesy of "saw") or I'll get freaked out that my head will get ripped off, via elevator doors. (thank you, "final destination") or that there is a small bomb implanted in my face that will go off and cause my head to explode (I got this one from some ad for a horror movie when looking through the newspaper for the comics).

The pathetic thing is I haven't even seen any of these movies. It's all me and my sick, hyperactive brain.

I've tried everything. Meditation. Soft music. I've counted so many damn porn stars, OOPS... I mean so many sheep that I could feed a third world country.

Nothing works.

I Just can't sleep. DAMN!

40 comments:

kyamaloom said...

Same here man about the sleeping part. Very profound post!

Aruni RC said...

Well, that's some etymological work you've done. For me tho' insomnia (with or without counting bipeds/quadrupeds of whatever appearance) would be a real boon. I'm cramming crazily for the engg. joints and stuff you see ( the fate for those who intend to be over-qualified mistiris).
Heston was some guy, for sure!

lizzie said...

I agree 200% with the feviglue and thoughts being sadistic killer at night :P

Keshi said...

Im an Insomniac by choice :)

Keshi.

Jyoti said...

wow! what a discovery..somnia guru ;)

Mystique said...

I hate my night-thoughts.....
the unwatched horror-movie thoughts just spring through.....
and I don't even watch horror movies. not even the trailers.
now we know why.

gypsy said...

same here....

nd i dnt wish to...unless i know m never gonna get up again...

Shruti said...

I like that switching off the brain part.. actually, it hsould be selective, we should be able to switch some parts of, so that we don't think of those things.. or people.. life will be so good then.. but thinking of it, if u switch it off once and then u dont think of them, u'd never switch it on!! :-S

freesherry said...

lol
welcome to the club dude :D
I am a complete nishachar (night walker)

Bharti Bedi said...

man i wish i could for once say that i cant go to sleep...

i AM somnia!!!!

Impressionist said...

@ Sutta: heh! thanx mate! :D

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Aruni: hehe! thats a sad state!
cramming for engg I mean! :D It sucks! :D

-I

Impressionist said...

@ lunatic: hehe! So are we sailin on the same boat? :D

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Keshi: By Choice?
Now what do u do then? I wanna know! :D

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Jyoti: U mean Insomnia guru? :D

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Mystique: I hate them too! :D
but some of my best works so far were written at night. So my nights are not all that bad! ;)
I love horror movies, but I havent watched any of the movies I have mentioned there!

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Shruti: Yeah! :D Me likes that part too! ;)
hehe! lol @ forgetting that u have switched off! :D
Infact my brain is more like in a switched off state now, it doesnt really make any difference if its on or off!

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Freesherry: Welcome to the club?
Im already in Senior position in this club! ;) hehe!
good to have company! :D
so where do u go for walking during night?

-I

Impressionist said...

@ The Island Girl: LOL!
u sleep so much? DANG! ur lucky!

-I

Impressionist said...

@ D sinner: uh oh!
U dont wanna go to sleep? ;D hehe!

-I

Solitaire said...

Try limiting carbohydrate intake 5 hours before bedtime..

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

poor u!
i think counting porn stars is where d problem lies :P
which guy can sleep like dat dude?
:P

zephyr said...

hehehehe... this was funny to say the least.. ever think of the japanese horror movies? i normally get scared during th ewitching hour thinking abt Emily Rose.. and the fact tht i stay in a hostel doesnt help at ALL.. =)
hope uve seen these movies.

Amandeep Singh said...

I cant live withgout sleeping 8 hours..
cant wake up befo 11...
:)

Impressionist said...

@ Solitaire: Carbohydrate Intake?
duh! I didnt get it! :D Sorry, but Im dumb! :P

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Gunj: Yeah, ur right!
Im watching too much of porn lately I guess, I shud reduce it! DANG!

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Zephyr: yeah, I did watch a few japanese horror movies on world movies! I soo love horror movies hehe!
Emily Rose? heh thats one of my fav movies. I do get scared by such movies after I go to sleep and not when watching. I wonder why!?
Why don't u shift to a PG then! ;) if ur scared in a hostel that is! ;)

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Standbymind: So u go to sleep at 3? heh! thats fine! :D
dont u go to college then?

-I

black coffee said...

by what i know you love black coffee too. there lies the problem.. all us coffee lovers have insomnia as an obvious unavoidable side effect..

Gosh! Final Destination(s) spook me!!

ceedy said...

welcome to the club - as long as you are not tired - i guess it does not matter how much you sleep...

i sleep maybe 6 hrs and take 15 mins power nap........

the problem is if you try to sleep it will not come - try to do something boring when you want to sleep - then it will induce itself - like reading an owners manual to the toilet or watching some sad soap......then the brain will say FU impressionist - I am off

Sam said...

Damn you!! I can't stay awake, just can't.. I get back from work, cook, eat and hit the sack and am off in seconds!!
Hmm..try doing some number work, it tires your eyes and you drift off easily!! ;)

Impressionist said...

@ Black coffee: Dang! I didnt know that!
but I can't quit drinkin coffee! :(
any suggestions doc?

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Ceedy: I already am here for a longtime now! :D
Yeah, it doesnt I guess!
btw whats power nap? hehe! :D

Oh I do a lotta borin things!! Actually I get bored of doing boring things too! :P doesnt make sense? does it? hehe! nvm! :D
and watching soaps @ night? err..I prefer stayin awake instead of that!
I wish my brain did that to me! heh!

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Sam: heh! ur so lucky!
*sighs* u work too hard thats why I guess! :D I dont do anything thats why I dont get any sleep! :P

-I

black coffee said...

yeah we cant stop drinkin coffee so we are meant to be insomniacs.. there is nothing we can do otherwise, really!

Sunil said...

Hello Bro,
Sleep is a scarce thing at my end too. But I think LOVE is the only answer for your quest.

Do some soul searching, set your priorities,and break free from your worries, take out a whole day, go out...have a blast, laugh out loud and then return to your nest. You'll definitely get a good sleep.


Have a nice time. :)

Impressionist said...

@ Black coffee: Oh Dang!
well, its alrite anyway! :D

-I

Impressionist said...

@ Sunil: LOVE?
hehe! not Interested! :P
will try the other thing u said! :D
but with friends! :P

-I

freesherry said...

My hostel door closes at 7:30 pm so the only place I go for a walk to is my corridor
and yeah my blog :D

Stella said...

"I wish I believed in somnus, then I could just sacrifice a chicken or something to appease him and then, bang. nighty-night."

You crack me up. Seriously.

"I wish brains had an off-switch."

YES.

I get up and write when I can't sleep. (I often get my best ideas when I'm trying to fall asleep - it's because I'm addicted to irony or something.) Or I try to read to make my eyes tired. If I just lie there, I know I'll toss and turn.